Thursday, October 30, 2014

India Packing and Preparation

Traveling to India requires more preparation than my previous travels have.

First of all, we had to get a Visa. We applied on line and then had two options to complete the process…(1) Mail our Passports to India! or (2) Drive to Atlanta to an office near the Indian Consulate
We did not want to risk mailing to India, so we drove to Atlanta. We were practically the only Americans in the building. Most were Indians re-newing passports etc. But we got them!


Second, we had to have several shots. Walgreens to the rescue. Did you know they have a Travel Clinic? For the mere cost of $20 they will research the country and areas you are visiting and inform you of the vaccinations and other medications needed. We received:

Typhoid
Hepatitus A
Hepititus B
Flu Shot
Tetanus

There is also a risk of what they call "Delhi Belly" so they suggested we take Immodium plus a perscription strength medicine for tummy issues.

I also have to take a Malaria medication.

Lastly, the clothes I am packing must cover my ankles and shoulders. I have read in several Blogs that Westerners are stared at a lot. We stick out like sore thumbs and my newly highlighted blond hair will not help matters.  You are treated with more respect if dressed modestly. When visiting temples or other holy places I will have to cover my head. It is supposed to be HOT, so I have packed multiple maxi dresses, and pants with tops that have sleeves. I am a sweater, so I'd rather take shorts and tank tops, but I don't want to be disrespectful. One lady told me she was advised to not bring any clothes from home. Her Indian friend told her just to buy everything once in India. The clothes are dirt cheap and made out of beautiful linen fabrics. Plus, that might help you blend in a little better! Sounds fun, but I'm not willing to risk just taking my purse! I will definitely be buying a sari. So I will be easy to spot next Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment